Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Close To Home


Autumn and The Falls at Taughannock State Park


Fall colors greeted us as we prepared for a presentation at Cornell University's Laboratory of Ornithology last Monday evening.  We were invited to hang a selection of images by my father, Arthur Singer            ( 1917-1990 ) in the auditorium of the LAB, and also give a talk that would elucidate  details of my father's career that we cover in our new book: "Arthur Singer, The Wildlife Art of An American Master.  My brother Paul Singer, and I have written an extensive illustrated biography which has been published by RIT Press, and it is now available for sale on their web site.



Paul Singer at the lectern

If you want some further details about the show, and would like to plan on coming to Ithaca, New York, take a look at this link for the news release: http://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=3043208722




Early works by Arthur Singer on the left,
and a collaboration between my father, Arthur Singer, and myself            ( Alan Singer ) on the right

The illustrious career that my father had during his lifetime took him to wild places around the world and as a family we also would accompany my father on his birding trips to state parks and rugged wilderness.  We spent a lot of time appreciating nature, and those hours outdoors formed the core of my father's studies that allowed him to create marvelous paintings when we landed back at the home studio.



In the 1980's my father and I created a series of US Postage Stamps 
honoring the Birds and Flowers of the 50 States on the left,
and a big Bald Eagle in oil that my father made in the same years.

My brother Paul, designed our new book, which we are both very proud of,  and we are thankful for the opportunity to speak about our father's life and his devotion to the environment and conservation. My father's branch of art is closely related to science, but it also requires a great ability to design and draw, and  much patience to render his feathered subjects.  Since we gave our talk in the halls of 
Cornell University we were very mindful of the presence of Louis Agassiz Fuertes  ( 1874-1927 ), who also painted birds and worked as an illustrator for The National Geographic Magazine, and whose paintings are hanging in the auditorium where we spoke.  My father would have been so happy to know that his art, and the art of Fuertes are there for the viewing, and education of the visitors to the LAB now, and for the next few months.  If you haven't seen the LAB, there are also fabulous murals in the building and many fine works of art in the halls, so I urge you to check it out in Ithaca, New York.




This book is available in the store at the Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology
and our show of Arthur Singer's artwork will be up until February 28th, 2018
make a plan to see it before the show moves on!