Monday, September 17, 2018

New York State of Art


New York State 
of
Art

In Brooklyn,  I delivered my two monotypes for the show "Hand Pulled Prints" at SITE:BROOKLYN in an industrial district just west of Park Slope.  I could feel the energy of the neighborhood I used to call home.  Around the gallery the framed prints were not yet mounted on the walls, but  I can see that this is an interesting group and I think my artwork will stand out.



Alan Singer: "Importance of Light"
Monotype on Fabriano paper, 2018

This Brooklyn gallery has been open for five years, and I talked with the director, Denise Amses who is also a working artist.  We spoke about how much the neighborhood has changed since I moved out of this district in 2005.  So many new buildings in NYC!  I almost don't recognize it, as I drive around Brooklyn and Manhattan.



Taking shape:  "Hand Pulled Prints" for SITE:BROOKLYN

I won't be able to stay around downstate as I have to go back to my classroom, and teach at R.I.T.

So, I get up at sunrise to get to Rochester Institute of Technology and up in the sky is a work of art: someone was skiing in the clouds - or so it seems...



Sunrise, September 17, 2018


At the Bevier Gallery the teachers in the College of Art and Design       ( CAD ) are being presented in a faculty art show, and I can take a look around at my leisure.  From above the piece that Len Urso has on view seems very minimal in a sublime geometry of metal-work.  If this piece is formed by hammering away on the form - then that is a lot of work - also quite different than the heads that we have seen from him as of late.  The form - but not the color - reminds me of the world's largest flower  - the Rafflesia, which I think is found in Borneo.



Sculpture by Len Urso

Close by there is a tall sculptural work by Andy Buck that reminds me of art by Martin Puryear, and another sculpture being presented from Albert Paley.

Earlier Paley had sent out a letter  that detailed his interest in scaling back his operations - running huge sculpture studios and developing large public sculpture in far-flung places - it has got to be very exhausting.  


Work by Albert Paley

Dan DeLuna has some very colorful and attractive abstraction on view.  His teaching assignment here at R.I.T. is in the popular Visual Communication Design area.  I am sure that the paintings on view in this exhibition show increasing depth, and I would love to see more by this teacher.



Painting by Dan DeLuna


There is a striking portrait duo by Amy McLaren which reveals an interest in character development and also has a strong resemblance to the portraits of Robert Marx, one of Rochester's best known artists.  Amy has a lot of great energy and a real zest for her figurative pieces, that combine acute observation and a wonderful wit.



Portrait by Amy McLaren


So, I urge you to take a visit to the Bevier Gallery to check out all the artworks - too many to comment on here.  I have to go back to work - and take my students out to the Lamberton Conservatory to draw the plants for their next assignment.  On a warm grey day, we spend the afternoon studying nature - not too bad an idea!




Student at work on her drawing
at the 
Lamberton Conservatory


Hibiscus