Sunday, April 26, 2020

Restructure



"Who On Earth"
2020
oil on linen by
Alan Singer


To my readers: HELLO!  If you are still out there!!  It seems that it is time to restructure, time to think about what we are doing in the present to prepare for the future.  The pandemic sweeping across our country is changing the parameters daily.  I don't even go into the store now to do our daily grocery shopping and that is the least of it.  I do count myself among the lucky ones, my wife and I are healthy and are moving into our new home.  I have been working on a painting in my studio when I can.  It is a circle and it is both abstract and a representation at the same time.  This is a painted quilt - a grid of squares; oil paint in vibrant colors.

Now that I have time to contemplate our situation and I am off from teaching this semester, I found a focus by reading an article published by Jerry Saltz ( who wrote the book that I just finished called: "How To Be An Artist" - that I mentioned in my last post ).  His new article is titled: "The Last Days of the Art World...and Perhaps the First Days of a New One...( life after the coronavirus will be very different ).  You can go on the web to find his new article....

The New York Times also had a cover story about artists and their plans when everything they had to look forward to goes...POOF!  Our culture has now gone into a virtual lockdown and how do you recover from that?  Galleries go dark, and the only way to meet collectors or customers is online.

This all hits home for me as I was on schedule to give a talk about my art at The Memorial Art Gallery which is now closed because of COVID-19.  Also this spring my schedule included a solo show at the Multi-Cultural Community Center which has been postponed indefinitely, so I know the kind of disruption our new reality can have.


Art by Alan Singer on view at Elmwood Avenue


We have a show of artwork spread over three floors of our home on Elmwood Avenue, and we had a plan to preview this art, and then the virus crisis hit.  You can take a look at the way we have spread artwork around the house if you follow this link, and the house is now for sale.  Here is a link you can follow:  https://www.3021elmwoodavenue.com/