Monday, November 21, 2022

Out Front

 


Alan Singer delivers his Artist Talk
at
MuCCC, 142 Atlantic Avenue
Rochester, New York

My readers will note that I have a new exhibition open at MuCCC,  here in Rochester, and on Saturday, November 12th there was an audience for my artist talk.  Kevin Indovino set up a large screen and I proceeded with my comments in a Power Point presentation.  You can listen to the talk now posted to You Tube, and here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV4jA_5eUwY&t=30s

My show runs through to the end of December, and if you have not had a chance to see it in person, just know that this exhibit is of my recent abstractions which tend toward the geometric and are very colorful!
This is a select group of paintings that reflects my interests in composition, and also in the use of applied mathematics created on my laptop.  There are also several references to landscape and also to figuration especially in my painting that I call: "Dear Theo".  Actually, that painting came to me after reading the letters of Vincent Van Gogh and considering the strength of his portraiture, and so I tried to make a version using geometry and composition in oil paint.

After my talk there are some very astute questions coming from the audience members and I try my best to answer and reflect on my process.  In my talk I do spend a bit of time going over features in my background which includes work I have done as an illustrator and I  show some samples of books I have published, and talk a bit about how they were done and under what circumstances.  Most of all before I came to Rochester to teach at R.I.T. I was an artist in New York City and publishing was my gig.  I still am interested in books and have always  enjoyed the creative storytelling methods which probably leads me to once again thank you all for taking the time to read my posts!