Saturday, June 3, 2017

Contributing Artists


Alan Singer's watercolor works-in progress 
2017

After a glorious morning sitting out in the yard painting a watercolor, I took a break to go out and see what other art works.  I am going over to the University Gallery at R.I.T. to confirm my plans for an exhibition of my father's artwork coming later this summer.  When I arrive, I am totally surprised by the new show of paintings that is hanging everywhere in the gallery that is part of the Vignelli Design Center, and I get to meet the artist - Steven W. Justice!



Steven  W. Justice opens soon at the University Gallery, R.I.T.

Steven Justice is a congenial man with a terrific verbal and visual wit, and his paintings have a distinct style that is part pop and comic book, and part social critique.  He has lived in various parts of the world and he brings his social telescope with him to find unique points of view about people who become the subject of his paintings.  Looking around at all the paintings in this show it becomes clear that Steven Justice loves contemporary music.  Charlie Parker plays his sax and out pops another musician.  Duke Ellington sits at his piano and works out a composition.  Then there is so much more.  His show runs through July.



AS Above, So Below
Paintings by Steven W. Justice

After a pleasant conversation with Mr. Justice I went off to see a copy of our new book being published soon by RIT Press, and I am sure to write something on that topic soon.  Along with the new book that I worked on with my brother, Paul Singer, we are working on the exhibition that will follow in the roll out of our book.  Our show will be at the University Gallery later in the summer so stay tuned...!

Also, I want to mention an online  publication that will publish an interview with me and also Rebecca Aloisio.  Check out ACS Magazine online only for the July-August issue coming soon.



Sculpture by Albert Paley at The Hungerford Building
1115 East Main St.
Rochester, NY

At the Hungerford Building in Rochester, we visit Warren Phillips and see the new show that he has mounted with abstract art by William F. Sellers.  It is an interesting show that could be the cousin of the Minimal Mostly show that I wrote about last month.  William Sellers is an artist who has been working in this area for quite a while and his paintings include hard edged geometry, something with which I am quite familiar.  Less familiar to me is the sculptural works of Mr. Sellers made in cast metal which for the most part are in a medium grey color that look like they have been fashioned from miniature engine blocks.



Sculpture made of cast metal by William F. Sellers
at
Warren Phillips Fine Art and Frame



At The Hungerford Building
Warren Phillips is showing the paintings and sculpture of
William F. Sellers



George Wegman explains this painting by William Sellers

George Wegman was talking about the paintings with me and I found them engaging and well crafted.  I had to tell Warren and George that I just read in an e-mail about the passing of Edith Lunt Small, an artist well regarded in our city for her art and her character.  Since it was First Friday, I was on my way to another opening at The Geisel Gallery but I was happy I had the chance to see the show by William F. Sellers.


Jill Gussow at work on Scio Street, Rochester, NY

I saw that Jill Gussow was working on one of her mosaic murals when I drove by, and I had to stop and take a look at what she was in the middle of doing - putting up these large panels on the parking garage on Scio Street.  Jill and I shared a studio space when we were in college, so I have a long association with her, and watched her work for many years.  Just like me, Jill grew up in a very artistic family, and she is a seasoned pro.



Jan Agati Abbarno
Soliloquy: Recent Drawings
at
Geisel Gallery, second floor of the Legacy Tower
Rochester, NY

Down the way, Jean Geisel told me about the new show in the gallery that bears her name.  She had seen the works of Ms. Abbarno on her web site and was so impressed she arranged this exhibition.  Many people came over from Buffalo to see these intricate paintings - some of which had been sliced or torn as part of the creative impulse.  It helps to know that she calls her show: "Soliloquy: Recent Drawings", and you can imagine the discourse she has had with herself as she discovers new things in her art as her process evolves.  Here is an expressionist at work, with a poetic grasp of a delicate evolution of images that can engage the eye and mind in equal order.