Thursday, June 15, 2017

I Love New York


Niagara Falls, New York
June,  2017

A marvelous month now, with the start of my sabbatical from R.I.T. - I have been able to travel from one end of New York State to the other.  With our Swiss friends we happen to journey over to Niagara Falls on the most beautiful day and enjoyed mild temperatures and sunny weather.  The parkland around the falls has been improved since we last visited - with great trails; we walked everywhere.  Even though I write about visual art - the falls are in a class by themselves - and have inspired many generations of artists.  I forgot my paints, but we did some photography.



Anna and the author of this blog

I am in the middle of making preparations for a large scale exhibition of my father's artwork which will take place at The University Gallery later this summer in Rochester, at R.I.T.  It is difficult to take some time away, but on a day like this we couldn't help but be outdoors.  We are also looking forward to later in the summer becoming grandparents ( a shout out to Nathaniel and Tabi )!



Frontispiece for our new book
on the career of Arthur Singer
"The Wildlife Art of an American Master"
published later this summer by RIT Press

Before we hit the road to Niagara, another marvelous event happened - I held in my hands an advance copy of a book  that my brother Paul and I have co-authored.  I was thrilled to now have the chance to page through  and check out our project - almost two years worth of work to put it together with the help of RIT Press.  This was a labor of love, and this book will be also distributed in Europe, so if you read my blog in that part of the world, take a look for this publication.



A page from our new book
featuring our US Postage Stamps
"The Birds and Flowers of the Fifty States"

The title of this book gives only a hint of what we think is a very interesting life story.  My father was indeed a master wildlife painter, but he was so much more - in fact he had a very long career, and our book and exhibition showcase many facets of his artwork not known to the general public.  We call this an illustrated biography, and it really is a stunning art book soon available from the publisher in the middle of summer.

I am very proud of the fact that this month I was given a lifetime achievement award from the publishers of the Marquis Who's Who.  Here is a link if you want to know more about this award, and also more about my biography and why I was selected.  Here is the link: http://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release-service/439176



Blowy Hill


We ended the day on top of a hill in Brooktondale, just before you get to Ithaca, New York.  We have some property in one of the most beautiful settings you can imagine in New York State.  When I get to write the next part of this blog, I talk about another unique thing that just took place in New York City - which meant that I had to dress up for an opening at The Metropolitan Museum of Art - so it is on to Manhattan and the art world.....