Sunday, May 4, 2014

May Flowering

A view of
  "FLORA" a juried show at 
   Main Street Arts, 20 West Main Street, in Clifton Springs

I attended another packed opening at Main Street Arts in Clifton Springs, about 35 minutes away from downtown Rochester.  "FLORA" contains over fifty works which I selected as the juror for the show and I was very pleased by the way it looks.  You never know how things will fit in a gallery space especially since I juried the show by slides in a Powerpoint presentation.  So to see the actual art is so much better, plus I get to meet the artists and ask them questions about their procedures.


Bradley Butler, director at Main Street Arts

I had the chance to speak with Brad Butler who is the gallery director, an active artist and RIT graduate. He had arranged the artworks with an eye for making a statement about color and also about detail.  "FLORA" covers a lot of ground ( pun intended ) and I was pleased that he choose to include a couple of my watercolors as well.

Some standout works were in the show, and at the top of my list was a wood carving with milk paint called "Samara",  (see below) which was my choice for Best in Show for Patrick Kana.  Two other works won awards, a detailed rendering of a Delphinium by Margaret Wilson, and a work in ceramics.



"Samara"  by Patrick Kana

In the last few days I have also mounted a show in the Jean Geisel Gallery at the Bausch & Lomb Building in downtown Rochester.  My show is called " Early Work" and I wrote about this point in my career in an earlier post.  You are free to come and visit the show and take a look at paintings and prints that were made between 1988 and 2005.  In these works you will see the effect that working on a computer has had on my visual art.  This work represents a critical juncture for me, all the work is abstract and primarily about the effects of color and form.


"Early Work" by Alan Singer
at 
Geisel Gallery in the Bausch & Lomb Building, second floor