Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Speaking About Arthur Singer


The Author of this blog
speaking to the Burroughs Audubon Nature Club
Rochester, New York

Seems like I have been out on the tour recently speaking about art to an at a nature club like the one above.  My topic is the wildlife art that my father, Arthur Singer made during his lifetime, and I can speak from experience because we collaborated together on some of the most visible projects like  the Golden Guide to Birds of North America, and the U.S. Postal Service stamps that honor the Birds and Flowers of the Fifty States ( 426 million stamps were sold ). How did a boy from Manhattan come to fall in love with wildlife art?


Arthur Singer in the 1970's


The Golden Guide with art by Arthur Singer
has sold millions of copies


At The Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester, New York, -- this Friday, May 4th at 7 pm,  I will once again give my talk on my artistic family  ( my mom was also a published illustrator and painter ) and I will also be able to  sign copies of the new book from RIT Press that I co-authored with my brother Paul.  Paul also designed the book, and you should see what he did.!   I am really proud of this art book, and the story is really a good one.  In case you have not seen our book, it is advertised in the Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology magazine called: "Living Bird" this month.  Here is the cover of our book ( see below ).


RIT Press is the publisher
visit
https://www.rit.edu/press/


We look forward to seeing you at The Memorial Art Gallery for their $5 Fridays, if you can spare the time.  If you read this blog, you know that I am always writing about art, and shows that I like, and I actually have my own recent art in a big group show that will open this week at the Oxford Gallery, also here in Rochester.  The show is called: " Ode to Joy", and this group show will run until mid June.  If you can get there, you will see my print ( see below ) which I call: " Comprehension".
What people may not know about much of the artwork I have created in these past ten years is that what you see in the print is part of my investigation into the blend of mathematics and artistic pursuits.  In a way I am working on the visualization of functions of numbers on a two dimensional plane.


Comprehension by Alan Singer
at
Oxford Gallery, Rochester, New York

Later this year, I plan on publishing a new book on my recent art called: "Wheel House".

I write about many of the developments of my art that is so influenced by math.  I take up a path that Sol Lewitt had started, and I am making the most of it.  So now I have to look forward to speaking about a book, and working on new shows, and so much more.  Oh, and I just finished another semester at Rochester Institute of Technology, thank you very much!