Sunday, June 30, 2024

Join the Print Club

 

The Print Club of Rochester

Annual Member Exhibition

at University Gallery, R.I.T.


Really nice turnout for the Artist's Reception on Saturday, June 29th in the University Gallery,  when I stopped in to see this show.  If you haven't been there, the University Gallery is at the Vignelli Center in Booth Building on the campus of Rochester Institute of "Technology.  There was a rare opportunity to buy prints from the Club's archive which goes way back, just as the members celebrate the 93rd anniversary.  A person can become a member - you don't have to be a working artist to do that, just someone who has a curiosity and willingness to support an arts organization.

Printmakers practice their form of art in many ways, and it goes way beyond the traditional woodcut, engraving or etching.  If you look at the selection of prints in this year's show, and take the time to read the labels, you will see that there are many kinds of prints in this show even one that requires a Lightbox ( see below ).  Denise Anderson wins a Juror's Award for her piece called "Wandering Amongst the Stars".


Denise Anderson's "Wandering Amongst The Stars"

Each year the Print Club mounts the Member's Exhibition, and this year the University Gallery hosted the show with wonderful light and open space.  A guest can really make some comparisons among the artwork on view now through July 20th.  You might even get a chance to speak with one of the artists whose work you might be interested in.  Here is Nick Ruth with his photogravure featuring the back of a signpost on the "Thruway".  This is a new method of making prints for Nick, and why not explore new avenues!  This print won a Juror's Choice award.



Nick Ruth and his photogravure "Thruway"

With so many methods of making a print, it takes some practice to create an image and then even make a small edition for people who may want to collect your artwork.  The nice thing about buying a print is that it usually is a lot less expensive than a painting or a sculpture, but it can truly represent the artist's  vision in a graphic sense.  If you become a member of the Print Club each year you can count on  getting a commissioned print as part of the reward for supporting this  organization.   I saw a print from Dan Welden in this show, and reading the label I see that he donated the work to the Print Club.


Print by Dan Welden as a donation to The Print Club

Out near Sag Harbor on Long Island, Dan Welden has been making prints for many years, in fact the first time I met him ( more than 40 years ago ) he was helping my father, Arthur Singer, to make a series of etchings of birds which were shown in galleries in New York City.  Below you will see one of the etchings that Dan Welden printed for my father all those years ago.  This is a traditional line etching made in a limited edition.  This print was Not in the show at R.I.T.,, but I include it here because this work was influential  for me because I later became a printmaker myself after seeing how the process unfolds.


Arthur Singer's Harpy Eagle printed by Dan Welden circa 1975

Some of the prints included in the Print Club show are actually mixed media where the printed piece is only part of the work.  I am thinking about the big work by Pamela Drix with its colorful fabric collage as well as other pieces in the exhibition that employ a variety of techniques.


Art by Pamela Drix


Print by Alan Singer

My own print in this exhibition I call "Tanager".  Tanager is a colorful bird and the wonderful thing about this print is that I use a kind of mathematical equation to arrive at the rendering of this creature.  This print is unique - I don't often make editions of my images, so this is one-of-a-kind.  I have been in practice as a printmaker for many years and have made probably a thousand images by now.
And in fact I was a teacher at Rochester Institute of Technology for more than 32 years and one class I enjoyed teaching was printmaking!


Print Exchange allows members to share with each other

I think there is something for everyone in this show and take the time to go out and  see the University Gallery at  R.I.T. , it is a wonderful space with excellent art on view now!