Sunday, October 13, 2024

Reading, Writing, and Railroad Street


Fairport, New York, a glorious Saturday afternoon on the Erie Canal

We arrived in Fairport, in time for an art opening, just off the Erie Canal on Railroad Street.

I have been thinking that the art gallery as a business concept is going to need some revival, and maybe we will see what can be accomplished here, in our own vicinity.
 
A profound impression had been made for us when we were at The Clark last week in western, Massachusetts. Just a wonderful new building and a great collection of artwork to see, and later when we were about to leave, I stepped into the museum bookstore. I looked through the new arrivals.

I was pleased to see that there was a new book called: "Finding A  Likeness" written by Nicholson Baker.  Now, I have read a few of his books, but I was surprised to see this one in an art museum bookstore, so I picked up a copy.  The subtitle of the book is revealing: "How I Got Somewhat Better At Art", and this new volume introduced me to a new theme in his writing - that of delving into the nuts and bolts of creating satisfying art from the basics of drawing people ( and also trees and clouds! ) using a variety of media and techniques.  



Nicholson Baker's new literature on fine art

Now, I should give my readers a bit of the back story, in that the Baker family has long been a supporter of the arts.  Nicholson's parents met in the Parson's School of Design, New York City ( where I was a guest lecturer - though I didn't know them then ). Nicholson's uncle,  David Baker was lawyer and patron of mine in New York City.  David Baker bought a number of my early artworks which gave me more confidence that I could emerge as an artist in THE BIG APPLE.  Then, when we moved upstate to Rochester, New York,  so I could teach at R.I.T., Nicholson Baker's dad was one of the first people I met in our new town. Nicholson's mom also was a friend and she had worked in New York City as a fabric designer for Ginny Eckelberry ( another family friend ).  Small World!

Back to Nicholson's book, "Finding A Likeness" - this was such fun to read and also catch up on the latest avenues one can take as a student of drawing and painting.  The story he tells reveals many details about materials that an artist can use, and there are multiple samples of how a drawing can evolve, also how one can catch the nuance of an individual face.  Having the motivation also to finish a drawing to your satisfaction is also a theme in this new book.  Even our Rochester Art Supply store gets a favorable mention in a section about pastels!


Railroad Street Artworks, is now open

I have been thinking a lot about teaching art myself and having identified myself as a Professor in the field of Fine Art I wonder how I would prepare my students for what they must face in our new economy.  Here in our town of Fairport we have a new art cooperative that might show some promise.  The gallery has just opened and they had a good crowd - with many new faces and a large selection of mostly small scale artworks for you to enjoy - and maybe even purchase!


Opening Day for Railroad Street Artworks


On a table there was a layout of  artworks that you could bid on - like a silent auction, and I wondered how long the bidding would last before a work found a buyer.  Many attractive pieces to choose from!




Make an offer for your favorite work and support the arts!

I am sure to put this gallery on my list of places to visit, and I wish them well on their endeavors!  Always  stimulating to see new works by a whole new crowd!


Photo print by Nikki Bittner

Many fine works in the opening show including this photo print by Nikki Bittner.  This looks like it was made on a day like today!  So clear and beautiful!  Now, I wonder how Nikki  got such sharp edges on everything in this print...she must have some new technique at hand!  Come and see for yourself!