Friday, July 14, 2017

Looking Ahead


Print by Tony Hexuan
My student at Rochester Institute of Technology


A special issue of Sci/Art Magazine will arrive in August and will feature an article I wrote called: "STEAM Ahead".  This short piece, which will include prints made by my art students at Rochester Institute of Technology  ( see above ) also details how I bring STEAM topics into my classroom.  If you would like to sign up for their blog, or subscribe to their magazine check out this link:http://www.sciartcenter.org

In this magazine dedicated to STEAM topics, there are many approaches but in my class I use printmaking as a vehicle to tackle this topic.  You know what STEM subjects are: ( science, technology, engineering and math ) and we add a capital A ( for Art ) to get STEAM. When I teach my class, we end up making prints that take many directions towards these topics.  Students learn a process, and they filter that through their aesthetic judgement, and come away with substantial artworks which in many cases depend on applied mathematics.



Print made by Rachel Simonson
at 
Rochester Institute of Technology


This month has been a busy one, and in the release of another magazine developed in Chicago by the editor Renee L. Rose - a series of long articles brings art from a wide cross section - to you online.  This issue has an article about my student Rebecca Aloisio who is a printmaker and painter as well as an introduction to my own artwork.  The magazine is called ACS Magazine and it is only available online from this site: http://www.acs-mag.com

Last year Renee Rose published an article about my student Lingfei Zhao who made many paintings in his hometown in China.  So we are very pleased to have this media attention and we look forward to the interest being given to our artwork as expressed in this new online medium.



The artist Rebecca Aloisio
profiled in the new issue of ACS Magazine

A little later in July I will be on the road to Waterloo, Canada, for the BRIDGES conference on Art and Mathematics.  I plan to send you, my readers some information about that - since this conference is of interest to many who follow the STEAM program that I support.

Also,  coming up in the beginning of August will be the show I have co-curated with my brother Paul Singer on the life and career of our father, the wildlife artist Arthur Singer - so stay tuned for more information on that.  We are bringing out a new book published by RIT Press which can be pre-ordered if you want it for a reduced price.  Take a look at the RIT Press website for further information if you want to order a copy.  Here is the link to RIT Press:  https://www.rit.edu/press/authors/paul-singer-and-alan-singer
  


Arthur Singer ( 1917-1990 )
Hummingbirds from his book "Birds of the World "
published in the 1960's


I have spent the last several weeks preparing an exhibition that I have co-curated with my brother and we are bringing out a new book at the same time.  Many details, but we are excited because this is the first time that a real cross-section of my father's artwork has been viewed by the public.  Arthur Singer made his career with illustrations of birds, but it doesn't stop there.  He had a very interesting life, and his work as a master of wildlife is only part of the story.

If you read my blog and you are interested in seeing the show, I will send you an invitation if you send me your e-mail address.  Here is my address: alan@singerarts.com

The University Gallery at R.I.T. is the chief sponsor of the show, and it starts on August 7th, with an official opening on September 8th from 5 pm to 7 pm.  Come and hear my introduction to the art of Arthur Singer.